Chief Medical Officer
ThedaCare is an innovative health system and the leading provider of high-quality healthcare services in Northeast Wisconsin. This not-for-profit comprehensive health system is committed to providing community-based access to world class healthcare. This excellent care is provided through its physicians and system of seven hospitals, 30+ clinics and numerous programs and services, as well as those of its strategic partners. ThedaCare is a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network, has a ‘hospital in hospital’ partnership with Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, and is a member of AboutHealth with several other Wisconsin-based health systems.
ThedaCare is actively changing patient lives for the better. The system is actively championing excellent chronic and preventive measures and working to transform care delivery systems. Through its 100-year history, ThedaCare has woven itself into the very fabric of the communities it serves. As a result, Medical Center-Appleton and ThedaCare Medical Center-Neenah have been named multiple times as "Consumer Choice Hospitals," for the Appleton/Oshkosh area by the National Research Corporation and ThedaCare Medical Center-Waupaca has been recognized as a 2022 Top 100 Critical Access Hospital. ThedaCare has also been recognized multiple times as one of American Hospital Association's "100 Most Wired" health systems for its notable use of information technology.
ThedaCare is a founding member of the Wisconsin Collaborative for Healthcare Quality (WCHQ), a voluntary consortium of more than forty quality-improvement driven healthcare organizations and ten representatives of major employers, consumers, and business groups from around the state. ThedaCare tracks its quality and outcome measure and constantly seeks to improve care and services for the members of their communities.
The ideal candidate for the position of Chief Medical Officer is a respected clinician and experienced administrative leader/manager with a demonstrated track record of achieving quality distinguishable at the national level, with the vision and influence to help shape the healthcare delivery system for the future. A passion for performance, process improvement, and its link to quality and cost outcomes is essential.
Our ideal candidate will specifically possess the following:
- MD or DO from an accredited medical school
- Board certification in a primary care or specialty board
- An MBA or equivalent is desired but not required.
- Expertise in clinical informatics, data warehousing and payer contracting is essential
- Full and unrestricted license to practice in the state of Wisconsin
- Develop the clinical vision and direction for integrated team-based care initiatives for population health practice in risk-based environments.
- Provide executive leadership and a clinical perspective on the CIN (clinically integrated network) Executive Team.
- Lead the development of the expectations of performance for the CIN.
- Provide clinical expertise to ensure continuous quality improvement, the delivery of cost-effective services to our patients, and the development and implementation of population health management.
- Establish and support ongoing clinical staff recruitment practice.
- Work toward optimal, efficient, and timely clinics focused on patient and family-centered care.
- Support, mentor, and lead direct reports.
- Develop and/or participate in annual budgeting process.
- Set goals and objectives congruent with the overall goals of ThedaCare and hold the team members and leaders accountable to achieve the goals.
Appleton is a city in Outagamie, Calumet, and Winnebago counties in Wisconsin. One of the Fox Cities, it is situated on the Fox River, 30 miles southwest of Green Bay and 100 miles north of Milwaukee. As of the 2020 Census it had a population of 75,644, making it the sixth largest city in Wisconsin. Appleton is a part of the Fox Cities metropolitan area, the third largest in the state behind Milwaukee and Madison.
Appleton serves as the heart of the Fox River Valley, which is home to Lawrence University, the Fox Cities Exhibition Center, Fox Cities Performing Arts Center. It also hosts regional events such as Octoberfest and the Mile of Music.
In recent years, Appleton has emerged as a center for innovation in technology education, particularly in the area of K–12 technology education: the student-driven Appleton Youth Education Initiative has partnered with Microsoft Philanthropies, Plexus Corp., Miron Construction, Schneider National, and Stellar Blue Technologies to organize the Appleton Tech Clinic and HackAppleton, a popular annual hackathon that draws students from all over Wisconsin.
Appleton attracts many types of visitors, including people who are looking for a quiet getaway at a B&B or sports enthusiasts who want to support the city’s minor league baseball team or take part in a nature adventure at one of the many outdoor spaces such as Appleton Memorial Park. Kids of all ages love visiting Appleton and its many attractions like the Butterfly Gardens of Wisconsin, the Paper Discovery Center, and the Building for Kids. In 2013, Houdini Plaza, on the corner of College Avenue and Appleton Street, was renovated. The project cost around $1.5 million with most of that paid by the city itself. The plaza, known as the 'front yard' of downtown Appleton holds roughly 55 events each year, including summer concerts and part of the downtown farmer’s market.
One of the safest communities in the state, Appleton is a great place for young families and appeals to seniors, as well. Housing prices and the cost of living are low and the town continues to offer great career opportunities in a number of industries.