Chief, Spine Section
New England Baptist Hospital (NEBH) is seeking an established leader in spine surgery with a record of excellence in clinical outcomes, education, and research. The new Chief, Spine section will report directly to the Clinical Chair of Orthopedics and Surgeon-in-Chief, Dr. David Mattingly, and will work closely with David Passafaro, NEBH President. The Chief will have responsibility of coordinating all planning, medical staff supervision and hospital management interface for the Spine Section in addition to maintaining a clinical practice. This is a unique opportunity to lead and support a group of primarily private practice surgeons that specialize in all areas of spine surgery including degenerative and major deformity. The leader will oversee activities of the residents and fellows as well as work with the Fellowship Director on the Fellowship application and recruitment process. The Chief will be instrumental in starting the foundational work to develop a center of excellence for spine surgery at NEBH for the entire BILH system.
New England Baptist Hospital (NEBH) is the premier regional provider for orthopedic surgery and the treatment of musculoskeletal diseases and disorders. NEBH is an affiliate of Tufts University School of Medicine, conducting teaching programs in collaboration with Harvard Medical School. NEBH is recognized as the premier and preferred destination for musculoskeletal care. NEBH leads the region as the most trusted source for care and education for patients with musculoskeletal disease and related disorders. Through clinical excellence, innovation, scholarship, efficiency, and legendary service to their patients, NEBH has earned a leadership position among the nation’s top hospitals. NEBH has consistently ranked as one of America’s top hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News and World Report. NEBH has also earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for Advanced Certification for Total Hip and Total Knee Replacement and for Advanced Disease Specific Care for Spine Surgery. NEBH is one of only four hospitals in the nation to earn certification for Advanced Disease Specific Care for Spine Surgery.
Beginning March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health officially embarked on a journey to transform healthcare in Massachusetts. Formed through the merger of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Lahey Health, New England Baptist Hospital, Mount Auburn Hospital, and Anna Jaques Hospital, BILH is now the second largest health system in Massachusetts with 13 hospitals.
- MD or equivalent with residency training in Orthopedic Surgery or Neurosurgery and completion of a spine fellowship. American Board Certification by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) or American Board of Neurological Surgery (ABNS).
- Must have or be able to obtain an unrestricted medical license in the state of Massachusetts.
- Strong record of clinical excellence and accomplishments in the field of spine surgery.
- Leadership skills commensurate with a history of leadership roles/responsibilities and an understanding of behavioral and organizational change methodology is preferred.
- Strong history of working effectively with physicians to bring about change and innovation.
- Strong management skills, including managing and mentoring staff, building organizational capability, and collaborating effectively with peers.
- Ability to mobilize and engage stakeholders outside of their span of control.
- Experience and/or understanding of private practice.
- Ability to drive recruitment of additional spine surgeons to the section and lead diversity, equity and inclusion efforts across the Spine Section and in the recruitment of new team members.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly gain traction in new settings and adapt to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, retain, mentor, and inspire a diverse group of physicians which are primarily private practice.
- Outgoing, collaborative approach that fosters relationship-building and cooperation; highly effective facilitation skills.
- Works well in a team environment; track record of developing effective and trusted relationships at all levels of the organization; proven ability to guide teams based on compelling vision and fact-based analysis across multiple dimensions.
- Excellent understanding of finances and budgets; demonstrated experience in fiscal management.