Opportunity to lead not-for-profit teaching hospital
The President reports and is accountable to the Executive Vice President, Beth Israel Lahey Health (BILH) Hospital and Ambulatory Services and the Mount Auburn Hospital Board of Trustees.
The President oversees and directs the financial, strategic and operational performance of Mount Auburn Hospital and Mount Auburn Professional Services (MAPS), the employed physician group. The President will work in close partnership with the Mount Auburn Cambridge IPA (MACIPA) on hospital related issues such as contracting and quality related projects. In collaboration with the Senior Leadership team, the President is responsible and accountable for Mount Auburn Hospitals’ strategy, growth, operational excellence, quality of care and financial performance. This individual will also serve as a highly visible leader and strong advocate for Mount Auburn Hospital and BILH within the local communities, with state and local governmental agencies, business and healthcare professional organizations, as well as other healthcare institutions.
Mount Auburn Hospital is part of Beth Israel Lahey Health, a new health care system that brings together academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, community and specialty hospitals, more than 4,000 employed and jointly contracted physicians and 35,000 employees in a shared mission to expand access to great care and advance the science and practice of medicine through groundbreaking research and education.
Mount Auburn Hospital is a full-service, 217-bed, single room, regional teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical Schools serving the citizens and communities of metropolitan Boston. Founded in 1886 as the first hospital in Cambridge, Mount Auburn is a not for profit, charitable institution with a dual mission of providing clinically excellent care with compassion and teaching students of medicine and the health professions. The hospital is located on Mount Auburn Street in Cambridge Massachusetts about ½ mile from Harvard Square and there are 37 off-site locations throughout its service area.
- An undergraduate degree and a relevant graduate degree (e.g., MBA, MHA, MD or other advanced clinical degrees) is required.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible, successful leadership experience in health care management and operations within a complex community, teaching hospital setting or an academic medical center. Ideally, the successful candidate will currently be a President/Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, SVP/VP of Operations in a multi-hospital health system environment with a regional and/or national reputation for excellence.
- Prior experience working collaboratively with a Board.
- Experience in a multi-campus, multi-hospital healthcare system is ideal providing advocacy for the local hospital and communities they serve, but with appreciation for the strengths and challenges of the system.
- Experience working with a mixed model medical staff of both employed and independent physicians.
- Previous system integration experience a plus.
- Proven and successful leadership experience within a complex and matrixed reporting structure and a shared services model.
- Prior financial turnaround experience is needed. Has worked in a resource constrained financial environment knowing how to prioritize current needs and balance that with organization and system expectations.
- Experience working with risk-based contracts and the ability to work closely with current providers on existing and future contracts.
- Experience with change management in providing a vision, leadership and support around the needed changes.
- Has worked in a complex, multicultural organizational environment.
- Has proven success working in a competitive healthcare market.
- There is a strong preference and expectation that the President live in the primary service area.
This search is being led by the Executive and Physician Leadership Search Group of AMN Leadership Solutions, a division of AMN Healthcare. AMN Healthcare is the leader and innovator in total talent solutions for healthcare organizations across the nation.