Chief Medical Officer
Capital Blue Cross is conducting a nationwide search for a Chief Medical Officer (CMO). The CMO will be a thought leader that fosters deep collaboration to facilitate joint design of innovative health improvement, member engagement, care management, and other initiatives that result in exceptional value and quality outcomes. Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Health Delivery, the CMO will be accountable for strategic medical affairs issues and aligning the departmental strategy with the overall goals of Capital Blue Cross. With direct oversight of all clinical functions, including six direct reports and 284 team members in their supervisory organization, the CMO is ultimately responsible for supporting the total cost of care for members and customers.
Capital Blue Cross serves a 21-county region in Central Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley by offering health insurance products, services and technology solutions that provide peace of mind and promote health and wellness for our members. Capital Blue Cross focuses on simplifying and personalizing the healthcare experience and using innovative solutions – including patient-focused care models, actionable data, and digital health technologies – to create healthier lives and lower healthcare costs. The Capital Blue Cross Connect health and wellness centers provide in-person service and inspiration to help people reach their health goals. Capital Blue Cross is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Capital Blue Cross was recently recognized as one of the “Best Places to Work in Pennsylvania” for the fifth straight year and has been honored with national awards.
Capital Blue Cross employs approximately 2,000 employees and serves 838,000 covered lives. Headquartered in Harrisburg as an independent licensee of the BlueCross BlueShield Association, Capital Blue Cross serves central Pennsylvania and provides healthcare coverage and products to many nationally known companies. The company also operates several Capital Blue Cross Connect health and wellness centers across our service region that offer health plan consultations, fitness classes, health and nutrition coaching, and other personalized services to the general public.
- MD or DO from an accredited institution.
- Board certification in a specialty recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties or the America Board of Osteopathic Specialists
- Eligible to obtain an unrestricted medical license in Pennsylvania.
- Minimum of five years of clinical/direct patient care experience
- Minimum of seven years of experience in healthcare administration, including utilization management
- Proven leadership experience, including at least five years of experience as a medical director in a risk-based managed care program with in-depth knowledge of medicine.
- Outstanding communication skills, customer-service orientation and have a demonstrated track record of being an effective liaison between clinicians and administration.
- Deep working knowledge of population health management and approaches to achieve desired improvements in health status, quality outcomes and cost impact in both Medicare and Commercial populations is required.
- An energetic leader who is able to build trusting, collaborative, and effective relationships with key stakeholders.
- Strong reputation for effective physician relations and a demonstrated history of developing teams to achieve desired business results.