Chief People Officer
The Chief People Officer (CPO) reports to a member of senior management and oversees the strategic development, implementation, and administration of human resources programs and services to support the mission, vision, and values of CHKDS and its team members. Through the HR leadership team, the CPO the day-to-day operations of the Human Resources Department, keeping senior leadership apprised of non-routine developments.
Serves as a strategic partner and consultant to the Board, senior leadership, physicians, management, and employees on people-related matters. A high level of independence in performance of the role and/or solution of problems is expected, however, demonstrated teamwork and collaboration is equally essential for successful functioning.
Our ideal candidate will specifically possess:
- SPHR or CHHR certification preferred
- Professional knowledge of areas of responsibility to include theory, practice, and administration in order to direct planning and implementation. Ability to prepare reports, policies and budgets at a level normally acquired through completion of a master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Requires approximately ten to fifteen years progressively responsible related work experience, at least seven of which have been in a management role.
- Experience with corporate-level HR administration, such as executive compensation and benefits design, is critical.
- Co-leads (with Patient Experience Officer) the organization’s Culture of Excellence Committee which develops and executes strategic initiatives to support the ongoing enhancement of our culture.
- Leads organization-wide Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) efforts.
- Leads strategic workforce planning initiatives.
- As invited by senior leadership and Board designated committees, provides for market competitive senior executive compensation and benefits programs and policies.
- Leads and facilitates assigned human resource related executive meetings.
- Empowers organizational leaders through proactive advising, coaching, and training to improve individual and team performance.
CHKD Health System offers a network of comprehensive pediatric services in more than 40 locations that stretch from Williamsburg to Elizabeth City, North Carolina. On the outpatient side, we offer primary care, diagnostic services, urgent care, emergency care, rehabilitative therapies, day surgery and care in more than 20 pediatric subspecialties. Inpatient care is offered at Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters, Virginia's only comprehensive freestanding pediatric hospital.
The King's Daughters, a women's service organization that has worked to improve the well-being of children in our region for more than a century, established Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters, Virginia's only free-standing children's hospital, in 1961.
Today, CHKD The Virginia Children's Hospital, is a 206-bed teaching hospital with special units for neonatal and pediatric intensive care, cancer care, acute inpatient rehabilitation, medical and surgical care, and transitional care. As a freestanding, full-service children's hospital, every inch of our facility and all members of our medical team are devoted exclusively to the needs of young people, and our patients benefit from the full range of pediatric specialists and support services available only at freestanding children's hospitals.
In 2022, CHKD opened a brand new 14-story Children’s Pavilion on its Norfolk campus to address the mental health crisis facing our youth. The new tower offers 60 private inpatient rooms; indoor and outdoor recreation centers; music, art, and educational facilities; along with outpatient and partial hospitalization programs.
Norfolk, Virginia is a city on the water, but never watered down. Built on character, by characters, we’re a melting pot of people, cultures, and ideas that welcome a challenge as freely as we welcome people to our one-of-a-kind community.
Today, the city of Norfolk is a major American naval and world shipping hub, as well as the center of the Hampton Roads region, both on the southside and the peninsula to the north of the extensive harbor between the James and York Rivers, with the railroad terminus and ship construction port of Newport News from the 19th century on the west shore and Hampton on the south and east sides, dating back to its founding in the colonial era as Virginia's original port.
We invite you to take a chance for a change. Find inspiration on our shores. Explore our neighborhoods. Share our love of art. Experience our local flavors. Walk in our history. And never be afraid to loosen your sails and go wherever the wind takes you — a little change will do you good the border between Norfolk and Virginia Beach.
For more information on Norfolk, VA, please visit:
City of Norfolk, Virginia - Official Website | Official Website
Hampton Roads is situated on one of the greatest natural harbors in the world, with a mild coastal climate and unlimited leisure opportunities for boating enthusiasts, nature lovers, and beachgoers alike. This community offers excellent schools, a great variety of cultural and recreational opportunities, and is a great place to raise a family. The region is home to the largest resort city in the United States, Virginia Beach, but offers lifestyle options for every preference.
Choose from urban, suburban, rural, or waterfront living – all-encompassing a population that embraces a sense of community, the beauty of nature, and the southern charm of coastal Virginia and northeastern North Carolina. This is an area that highlights, celebrates, and supports our small business owners, military and veterans, public and private schools, and higher education.
Within a short-day trip, you can be in the mountains of western Virginia or North Carolina, on the Eastern Shore or catching the sights of Washington DC.
For more information on Hampton Roads, please visit:
Coastal Virginia - Hampton Roads - Virginia Is For Lovers