Senior Associate Dean for Medical Education
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences and Dean of the University of California Riverside School of Medicine, the SADME will serve as the chief academic officer for the University of California, Riverside School of Medicine. This new leader will be involved in strategic planning as well as development and management of a medical education budget. He or she will work with the development office on sources of philanthropy for professional development and educational activities as well as developing grant opportunities for educational initiatives or student services.
The SADME will identify and implement opportunities to evolve and enhance the school’s academic offerings to ensure that the school continues to offer diverse and innovative programs. He or she will collaborate with the Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs on admissions, advising, and mentoring of medical students. In addition, the Senior Associate Dean for Medical Education will represent the UCR School of Medicine in the University of California system-level committees related to medical education.
The Senior Associate Dean for Education will have ultimate individual responsibility for the design and management of the educational program as a whole, including:
- Planning, development, management, and evaluation of the medical education curriculum.
- Accreditation preparation, compliance, and documentation of all materials for the Liaison Committee on Medical Education.
- Faculty recruitment, appointment, development, and evaluation for medical education.
- Identification of clinical training locations; nurturing and maintenance of relationships with community partners and faculty; review of affiliation contracts
- Development and implementation of medical student progress and promotion
- Operational oversight of the Office of Medical Education
- Operational oversight of the Center for Simulated Patient Care
- Operational oversight for the Office of Scholarly Activities
- Strategic planning and development/management of Medical Education budget
- Recommending and writing appropriate policies and procedures for the educational program
- Operational oversight of the PRIME (Programs in Medical Education) program
- Must possess an M.D. or DO degree and be board certified in his/her field of practice.
- Must qualify for faculty appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor as well as meet the eligibility requirements for a medical license in the state of California. The SADME will participate in clinical care, research, and/or educational activities in their primary academic department.
The University of California Riverside is situated on nearly 1,200 scenic acres in Inland Southern California. With more than 26,000 students and 1,100 faculty — including two Nobel Prize winners and 13 members of the National Academies of Science and Medicine — UCR is pioneering research with economic, scientific, and social impact on the real-world challenges faced in California and beyond. The reach and importance of academic work is gaining prominence. UCR ranks among the top 1 percent of universities worldwide by the Center for World University Rankings and one of the nation’s top 12 public universities by Forbes.
University of Riverside School of Medicine
Founded in 2013, the School of Medicine at UCR is the sixth University of California Medical School and the only community-based school in the UC system. It serves the rapidly growing Inland Southern California region by training a much-needed physician workforce and catalyzing innovations in research, education, and healthcare delivery.
To improve the health of the people of California and, especially, to serve Inland Southern California by training a diverse workforce of physicians and by developing innovative research and health care delivery programs that will improve the health of the medically underserved in the region and become models to be emulated throughout the state and nation.
Riverside is a city in, and the county seat of, Riverside County, California, United States, located in the Inland Empire metropolitan area. It is named for its location beside the Santa Ana River. It is the most populous city in the Inland Empire and in Riverside County and is located about 50 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles. It is also part of the Greater Los Angeles area. Riverside is the 61st-most populous city in the United States and 12th-most populous city in California. As of the 2020 census, Riverside had a population of 314,998. Along with San Bernardino, Riverside is a principal city in the 13th largest Metropolitan Statistical Area in the United States; the Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario MSA ranks in size just below San Francisco pop. 4,749,0080 and above Detroit in population.