Chief Medical Officer
Women & Infants Hospital (WIH) and Care New England are seeking a talented senior-level physician executive to join WIH as its Chief Medical Officer. WIH is one of the nation’s leading specialty hospitals for women and newborns and is the region’s premier hospital for women and newborn children. It is the ninth largest stand-alone obstetrical service in the country and the largest in New England with more than 8,000 deliveries per year only. WIH is also the only Level IV NICU in Rhode Island and the major teaching affiliate of The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University for obstetrics, gynecology, and newborn pediatrics, as well as several specialized programs in women’s medicine and women’s pathology. WIH has a rich history and a remarkable reputation for providing a wide range of comprehensive and compassionate services to newborns and the persons who birth them.
Reporting directly to the President/COO, Chief Medical Officer is responsible for assuring the provision of high-quality care, maintaining positive relations with the medical staff, and collaborating with the executive team in developing future strategies for the organization.
The CMO at WIH role is an exceptional opportunity for an accomplished, forward-thinking, and collaborative, physician executive to join an outstanding organization at a key time in its history, and to impact the future of this vibrant provider organization and the communities it serves. The future CMO will have the benefit of building upon a loyal and engaged workforce, exceptional organizational culture, and committed leadership team. The CMO must have a track record of successful operational management, experience leading and implementing performance and process improvements, and a passion for establishing strategies and programs focused on ensuring the provision of high-quality patient care.
The ideal candidate for the position of Chief Medical Officer is a respected clinician and experienced administrative leader/manager with a demonstrated track record of achieving quality distinguishable at the national level, with the vision and influence to help shape the healthcare delivery system for the future. A passion for performance, process improvement, and its link to quality and cost outcomes is essential.
Our ideal candidate will specifically possess the following:
- Must have a Medical Degree with board certification. MBA or credential in medical management is desirable.
- Must be eligible for licensure in Rhode Island.
- Ten years of experience in an academic setting and in medical staff administrative leadership is preferred. The ideal candidate will have held a significant leadership role in a complex, multifaceted university or academic medical center, with strategic and operational skills, particularly with respect to balancing the academic tripartite mission.
- Demonstrated leadership in an academic medical center as a CMO, Associate Chief Medical Officer, Medical Director or other relevant position is preferred.
- Strong clinical competency and experience leading physician groups and other clinical staff in large scale quality programs and change efforts.
- Proven track record with quality improvement and clinical operations.
- Experience in the recruitment of diverse faculty and faculty development.
- Track record of working effectively with medical staff, including other physician leaders/Chiefs, nursing staff and leadership, and other administrative leaders with a very positive and respectful spirit.
Rhode Island is made up of 39 cities and towns and well over 400 villages and neighborhoods, each with its own special qualities, amenities, and style. Providence is the most populous city in the state and is also one of the oldest cities in the United States. Known for its thriving arts community, Providence has been dubbed the “Renaissance City” and is home to several notable educational institutions, including Brown University, Providence College, Johnson & Wales University and the Rhode Island School of Design.
The city is rich in its intellectual assets of medicine and academia, along with a highly desirable industry mix. Elegant waterfront amenities, spectacular architecture, award-winning gourmet restaurants and a dynamic arts scene contribute to the city’s eclectic appeal. The city of Providence is home to a 1,200-acre park system, notably Parkland Riverwalk, Roger Williams Park, Roger Williams National Memorial, and Prospect Terrace Park. Providence also benefits from direct access to interstate highways and a well-planned and efficient airport.