System Vice President and Medical Director, Cancer Services
Baystate Health, a leading not-for-profit integrated health system in New England, is seeking an accomplished, strategic thinking physician leader to lead the system’s cancer care service line as the Vice President and Medical Director (henceforth, called the “VP Cancer Services”). This position serves as a health system VP and is thus in a senior leadership role within the organization. This is an exceptional opportunity for a dynamic, growth-oriented, and clinically excellent cancer specialist with strong leadership skills, business acumen, and productive experience in a multi-disciplinary, patient-centric, academic environment.
Reporting directly to the Chief Physician Executive of Baystate Health, the VP Cancer Services will have direct leadership responsibility and accountability for adult Hematology/Oncology and Radiation Oncology. Additionally, he/she will have strategic and programmatic oversight for surgical oncology services, partnering with the Chairs of Surgery and Obstetrics & Gynecology and surgical Division Chiefs to ensure specialty capacity, operational excellence, and coordination of care to achieve cancer program goals. The VP Cancer Services will work with the Chairs of Pathology, Radiology, and other clinical areas as appropriate to support and advance cancer program goals and will work closely with his/her administrative dyad partner, the Cancer Program Administrative Director on program planning, operational, and administrative matters. It is expected that the leader will develop and maintain a clinical footprint in his/her specialty/subspecialty and be an active participant and leader in medical education activities.
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated healthcare systems, serving more than 800,000 people throughout western Massachusetts. The mission of Baystate Health is “to improve the health of the people in our communities every day, with quality and compassion.”. With about 12,000 employees, a 1,500-member medical staff, and operating revenue of more than $2.5 billion, this dynamic system includes an academic medical center, a children’s hospital and three community hospitals. It also includes a large multispecialty group, (Baystate Medical Practices), Baystate Home Health, Baystate Reference Laboratories, and Health New England, a 205,000-member health insurance company.
For many decades, Baystate Health has provided expert, comprehensive cancer care services to residents of western Massachusetts. Branded as the Baystate Health Regional Cancer Program, Baystate’s cancer program is the leading cancer program in the region. More than 3,000 new patient cases are managed through Baystate Health every year.
Baystate Cancer Program patients benefit from the dedicated service of an impressive group of professionals and support staff, with a total of approximately 160 FTE’s and an annual operating budget of approximately $300 million. In addition to physicians, cancer care team members at Baystate include advanced practice clinicians, oncology nurses, medical physicists, dosimetrists, radiation therapists, oncology pharmacists, a nutritionist, social workers, medical assistants, and clinical engineers. The Program’s Clinical Research and Quality team includes several research coordinators, assistants, and analysts. The business operations office, with 20 FTE’s, provides patient-centered scheduling, financial counseling, pre-authorization, and billing and denial management services, seeking to avoid additional burden to patients and families during a time of stress.
- M.D. or D.O., Board Certified in his or her cancer related specialty.
- Licensed or eligible for licensure to practice medicine in the state of Massachusetts.
- Academically eligible for Associate Professor or Professor faculty appointment at the University of Massachusetts Chan Medical School- Baystate.
- An MBA, MMM, MPH or MHA is a plus.
- A minimum of ten years of postgraduate clinical experience in cancer care, gained within a community teaching hospital/health system or academic health system environment.
- Has established a high level of credibility among his/her peers as a physician leader.
- Five or more years of successful and progressive leadership experience in a Medical Director, Division Chief, Chair, or other relevant role.
- Successful experience in clinical leadership and growth of cancer care services.
- Experience working in a multi-hospital, integrated delivery system, with concomitant understanding of the complexities of managing across a growing system of care, is strongly preferred.
- Ability to successfully identify, recruit, mentor and develop diverse academic and non-academic physicians.
- Prior experience working with private (voluntary) medical staff members, as well as employed faculty, is a plus.
This search is being led by the Executive and Physician Leadership Search Group of AMN Leadership Solutions, a division of AMN Healthcare. AMN Healthcare is the leader and innovator in total talent solutions for healthcare organizations across the nation.