SUNY Upstate Medical University is seeking an accomplished, strategic thinking physician leader to serve as Chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
The Chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at SUNY Upstate Medical University is a crucial position that serves as the academic, clinical, and administrative leader of the department, overseeing programmatic, clinical, research, and educational development. The Chair oversees multiple clinical divisions within the department, including Breast Health and Breastfeeding Medicine, Family Planning, General Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gynecologic Oncology and Maternal and Fetal Medicine. They are responsible for recruiting, retaining, and developing faculty members within the department, as well as contributing to appointments and faculty recruitment in related specialties. The Chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at SUNY Upstate Medical University shall be, upon election by the Medicine Faculty, the President of the practice plan corporation with opportunities to serve in other leadership and Board positions member. This involves fiduciary responsibility for the practice plan, including budgeting and oversight of the business manager. The Chair is responsible for developing, allocating and ensuring the effective use of financial and physical resources within the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, including budgeting and the allocation and effective use of all space assigned for clinical care, medical education, and research across SUNY Upstate facilities and with community partners. The Chair is responsible for the organization, assessment, and accreditation of various educational programs, such as clerkships, electives, and residency and fellowship programs. The Chair also develops and implements educational training programs, promotes the integration of educational and research programs, and meets SUNY's responsibilities to students, faculty, and academic staff.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Must be a physician Board Certified, licensed, or eligible for licensure in the State of New York.
- Scholarly and professional achievement meriting an academic appointment in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at a rank commensurate with experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in the recruitment of diverse faculty and faculty development/mentoring.
- Knowledge of and experience in developing and implementing clinical programs, including inter-professional programs.
- Demonstrated administrative ability, including planning and effective execution.
- Experience in fiscal management and experience leading or significant participation in institutional strategic planning.
- Experience in and ability to manage the clinical activities of the medical faculty.
- Demonstrated leadership in an academic medical center or recognized teaching hospital as a division chief, department chair or vice-chair, or other relevant position.
- Knowledge of and experience in developing and implementing medical curricula and education.
- Knowledge of and experience in the support and conduct of research.
- Interpersonal skills that support an open transparent process that invites participation and effective collaborative relationships with colleagues within and outside SUNY Upstate Medical Center; particularly with community partners.
- Political and negotiation skills as required to build consensus and advance an agenda within a highly complex, matrixed organizational environment.
- Demonstrated success in fostering educational activities and research.
SUNY Upstate Medical University is an academic medical center with an annual budget of over $1.8B. It is the largest employer in Central New York, with over 11,000 employees. Each year, SUNY Upstate educates nearly 1,600 students in specialized programs and provides graduate medical education to around 700 residents and fellows. It conducts over $40 million in funded research. SUNY Upstate is part of the State University of New York (SUNY), the largest public higher education system in the US. SUNY has 64 campuses and educates approximately 468,000 students. SUNY Health, which Upstate Medical University is a part of, serves over 1.3 million patients annually and graduates more than 10,000 health professionals each year. Upstate University Hospital, the hub of SUNY Upstate's clinical activities, has two campuses and offers a wide range of medical services. It has 735 licensed inpatient beds and is a Level-I Trauma center.
Syracuse is a city in Central New York with a population of 148,620. It serves as the economic and educational hub of the region, which has over one million inhabitants. Syracuse is well-connected, with major highways and an international airport. The city is home to Syracuse University and offers cultural activities such as opera, theater, and museums. Sports enthusiasts can enjoy games by Syracuse University teams and minor league teams. Outdoor recreational attractions like Lake Ontario, the Thousand Islands, and the Adirondack Mountains are within an hour's drive. Syracuse also has close proximity to the Finger Lakes Wine District and offers a high quality of life with affordable housing and excellent schools.
SUNY Upstate Medical University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive excellence through diversity. We actively seek applications from women and members of underrepresented groups to contribute to the diversity of our university community in support of our teaching, research, and clinical missions.
Pursuant to University policy, the University is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities. Upstate does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, and familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction, or any protected characteristic.
Nominations are greatly appreciated and may be sent to:
Lead Executive Parter
Physician and Leadership Solutions – Executive Search
Vice President and Senior Consultant
Physician and Leadership Solutions – Executive Search
Physician and Leadership Solutions - Executive Search