Vice President and Senior Medical Director opportunity in Massachusetts!
The Vice President, Senior Medical Director for UMass Memorial Community Medical Group is responsible and accountable for building relationships that foster clinical integration across the Health System including Member and affiliate hospitals. This individual serves in a leadership role, pursuing continuous performance improvement by developing relationships and implementing plans which meet/exceed expectations, while enhancing productivity, operations, patient satisfaction and physician morale. The Vice President will work collaboratively with the Academic Chairs and other System Leaders and will supervises Medical Directors and work with other Lead Physicians.
This is a newly created position for the Medical Group to help address and manage the growing needs of the medical group and the system. There is also the potential opportunity for succession to the Senior Vice President of Community Medical Group in a few years when that individual will retire once this VP establishes strong relationships across the enterprise, builds their own primary care practice and is well established in managing the day-to-day operations of the medical group. The Senior Vice President of Community Medical Group reports directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer of UMass Memorial Health.
UMass Memorial Health is the clinical partner of the University of Massachusetts Medical School and the largest health care system in Central and Western Massachusetts. It is a not-for-profit, integrated health care system designed to provide all levels of care, from primary to quaternary. The hub of the clinical system is the UMass Memorial Medical Center (UMMC), a major academic health center located on three campuses in Worcester. With 802 licensed beds, over 130,000 annual ED visits, and more than 1.2M outpatient visits, UMMC has become the third largest hospital in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. UMass Memorial Health also delivers care through two member hospitals, HealthAlliance-Clinton and Marlborough, and an extensive ambulatory system that includes clinics, medical offices, and health centers across central Massachusetts.
The UMass Memorial Medical Group is a large, integrated multispecialty group medical practice providing primary care and specialty care at locations throughout Worcester and Central Massachusetts. The Medical Group is a private, non-profit, tax-exempt organization which employees 1,100 physicians, 270 affiliate practitioners, and 1,000 support staff. It is comprised of 19 business units, 18 academic departments, and a community division which consists of 190 physicians, 19 affiliate practitioners, and 450 support staff. Each year their providers deliver 1.6 million visits, at more than 80 office-based practice sites, five community health centers, three rehab facilities, Community Healthlink, 12 hospitals, and more than 25 nursing homes.
UMass Community Medical Group (CMG) began in 1998 with the merger of Memorial Medical Group and UMCP and today represents 15% of the revenue of UMMMG and 26% of ambulatory visits. The group is two-thirds primary care (IM, FM, Med-Peds, Peds), and one-third specialty care (Hospitalists, Neurosurgery, General Surgery, ENT, Ob-Gyn, Neurology, Nephrology, Rheumatology, Endocrinology, Pulmonary, ID, Sleep Medicine) with 70 sites currently throughout central Massachusetts. The practice includes 190 physicians, 19 affiliate practitioners and about 450 support staff and has included 16 new practices or acquisitions in the last 5 years.
- An MD Degree is required, and an MBA, MHA or equivalent degree is preferred.
- A primary care physician is preferred but consideration may be given to an OB/GYN or Neurologist with the requisite management and leadership skills.
- A minimum of 7 years or more of related management experience in multiple physician practices across a wide geographic area and within a complex academic environment is ideal. However, consideration will also be given to related leadership experience within a medium to large private practice group possessing a large percentage of primary care physicians.
- Must be a respected member of the physician community, maintain an active clinical practice and possess outstanding interpersonal and communicating skills to gain confidence, trust, and respect of leadership across CMG and UMass Memorial Health.
- The person must be able to listen, maintain impartiality, possess impeccable integrity and be collegial and team oriented.
- Must have proven work experience in enhancing process and performance standards, as well as a proven track record and success leading satellite ambulatory physician practice centers.
- Must have strong analytical abilities with the ability to identify issues and solve problems.
- Must have the ability to create a positive environment where staff is valued and respected for their contributions is critical.
This search is being led by the Executive and Physician Leadership Search Group of AMN Leadership Solutions, a division of AMN Healthcare. AMN Healthcare is the leader and innovator in total talent solutions for healthcare organizations across the nation.