Senior Vice President and System Chair of the Cancer Institute
Nuvance Health, (Nuvance), an innovative, award-winning, non-profit health system, is seeking a collaborative leader to serve as Senior Vice President and System Chair of the Cancer Institute. This is an exceptional opportunity for an accomplished, forward-thinking, and collaborative healthcare executive to join Nuvance Health at a key time in its development, impacting the future of this dynamic health system and the communities it serves.
Reporting directly to the Chief Physician Executive and Chief Medical Officer, the System Chair will be responsible for providing strategic direction and clinical leadership for all cancer services, as well as overseeing the integration of cancer services into the Nuvance Oncology Institute. The System Chair will have a dyad partnership with the Vice President, Cancer Services. The System Chair will bring thought leadership and deep knowledge of both the present and future of the cancer service industry along with contemporary approach to leadership in order to develop an overarching vision for the Institute. This leader will develop physician relationships and build teams that drive exceptional care, making Nuvance Health the preferred destination for cancer care as well as a desirable workplace for all its staff and physicians.
The Nuvance Health Cancer Institute is a comprehensive cancer program and offers an extensive range of cancer services across three main hospitals within Nuvance Health’s seven hospitals region within New York and Connecticut. The Institute is comprised of nearly 500 team members collaborating in a subspecialized and highly multidisciplinary environment. The program is Accredited by the American College of Surgeons, Commission on Cancer Program and the program’s breast programs are also accredited by the NSAPB (National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project). The Cancer Institute is dedicated to the diagnosis, treatment, management, research, screenings, and preventive care as well as survivorship of patients with all types of cancers. The specialized divisions are evolving and most notable in breast, lung, gastrointestinal and colorectal cancers covering the complete spectrum of cancer care have developed a close-knit team of medical, research, nursing, and support staff with specialized expertise that translates into more advanced, focused care for all patients.
The Ideal Candidate:
- M.D. or D.O., Board Certified in his or her cancer-related specialty.
- Licensed or eligible for licensure to practice medicine in the state of Connecticut and New York.
- Minimum of ten years of postgraduate clinical experience in cancer care, gained within a community teaching hospital/health system or academic health system environment. environment.
- Has established a high level of credibility among his/her peers as a physician leader.
- Five or more years of successful and progressive leadership experience in a Medical Director, Division/Section Chief, Chair, or other relevant role.
- Successful experience in clinical leadership and growth of cancer care services.
- Experience working in a multi-hospital, integrated delivery system, with concomitant understanding of the complexities of managing across a growing system of care, is strongly preferred.
- Ability to successfully identify, recruit, mentor and develop diverse academic and non-academic physicians.
- Prior experience working with private (voluntary) medical staff members, as well as employed faculty, is a plus.
Nuvance Health, (Nuvance), an innovative, award-winning, non-profit health system, was formed in April 2019 through the merger of two leading health systems, Health Quest and Western Connecticut Health Network. “Nuvance”, derived from a combination of the words “new” and “advance,” reflects a mission to “continually progress and pursue impossible to enhance the health and well-bring of every person in the communities served.” The newly created health system was developed to provide communities across New York’s Hudson Valley and western Connecticut with more convenient, accessible, and affordable care. Nuvance Health is governed by a 17-member Board of Trustees. With seven hospitals, a total of 1,513 licensed beds, $2.6B in net revenue, more than 2,600 aligned physicians, and 14,000 employees, Nuvance Health serves more than 1.5 million residents across western Connecticut and the Hudson River Valley.
Nuvance Health’s sites of care span the mid-Hudson River Valley region of New York State, as well as the cities and towns of western Connecticut, ranging from cosmopolitan Fairfield County in the south, to bucolic Litchfield County in the north. City and country are close together in these regions. Located north and northeast of New York City, the region is easily accessible to/from the city by car, or via train on Amtrak or commuter rail. Area residents can make a daytime or overnight trip to New York City and be back home in 90 minutes. The region offers a wide variety of communities, ranging from urban/suburban, to charming small towns. The economic base is diverse and solid, as home to a well-trained workforce and an impressive array of companies, including Fortune 100 corporations.