System Chief Operating Officer opportunity for a market-leading, seven hospital, $2.6B academic health system serving 1.5 million people in communities across New York’s Hudson River Valley and western Connecticut
The Executive Vice President, Chief Operating Officer reports directly to the President & CEO of the health system and is accountable for the growth, integration, operations, and financial results of Nuvance Health. S/he is a key member of the senior leadership team for the health system and partners with key stakeholders across the system in both strategic and operational decision making to accomplish the key priorities and objectives of the organization. The COO provides operational leadership for the achievement of exceptional outcomes in quality, patient experience, employee engagement, financial health, and valued-based care. The COO serves as a critical member of the senior executive team, modeling collaboration, creative problem solving, and the Nuvance Health Reason for Being Values.
The COO leads, evaluates and develops member hospital Presidents and system-level operating leaders consistent with the mission, values, and goals of Nuvance Health. S/he will lead the continued development of the organization to fully realize the potential of an integrated delivery system, combining a commitment to innovation with effective change management. The COO will establish strong credibility and effective relationships with the medical community; business and community groups; local and state-level legislative and regulatory groups; affiliated academic organizations; and the leaders of other health care provider organizations in the region.
Nuvance Health, (Nuvance), an innovative, award-winning, non-profit academic health system, was formed in April 2019 through the merger of two leading health systems, Health Quest and Western Connecticut Health Network. “Nuvance”, derived from a combination of the words “new” and “advance,” reflects a mission to “continually progress and pursue impossible to enhance the health and well-bring of every person in the communities served.” The newly created health system was developed to provide communities across New York’s Hudson Valley and western Connecticut with more convenient, accessible, and affordable care.
Sharing similar missions, leadership from both Health Quest and WCHN saw an opportunity to unite and create an expanded, patient-centered health system to accelerate the change from sick-care to wellness. This new system is well positioned in today’s consumer-driven environment to help people optimize their health, prevent disease, and manage chronic conditions. The focus of Nuvance Health is to enhance quality, population health, accountable care, telehealth, medical education, and the use of data analytics to enhance patient outcomes.
Nuvance Health is governed by a 17-member Board of Trustees. With seven hospitals with a total of 1,513 licensed beds, more than 2,600 aligned physicians, and 12,000 employees, Nuvance Health serves more than 1.5 million residents across western Connecticut and the Hudson River Valley. This region benefits from a strong economic base and a stable to growing population. The system’s flagship hospitals, Danbury Hospital and Vassar Brothers Medical Center, each benefit from geographic positioning with minimal significant hospital-based service competition, while Norwalk Hospital operates within a highly competitive Fairfield County market.
- An undergraduate degree and a relevant graduate degree (e.g., MBA, MHA, MPH, or advanced clinical degree) is required.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible, successful senior leadership experience in health care management and operations within a complex community teaching hospital or academic medical center environment, with P&L oversight of approximately $500M or more.
- Leadership experience within a multi-hospital healthcare system is ideal, providing advocacy for the strengths and challenges of the system overall, while appreciating the unique concerns of member hospitals and the communities they serve. Experience leading in a post-merger integration environment is a plus.
- Experience leading in a competitive market.
- Experience developing and/or managing partnerships and working with physicians in multiple practice models with a track record of partnering effectively with both employed and independent physicians.
- Proven, successful leadership experience within a complex and matrixed reporting structure and a shared services model.
- Has worked in a resource constrained financial environment, with ability to balance and prioritize needs across the organization/system.
- Experience with value-based reimbursement models.
- Experience in developing and nurturing effective business relationships with business and community leaders and other health care organizations.
- Experience partnering with labor unions is a plus.
This search is being led by the Executive and Physician Leadership Search Group of AMN Leadership Solutions, a division of AMN Healthcare. AMN Healthcare is the leader and innovator in total talent solutions for healthcare organizations across the nation.